After receiving feedback from The FA and referees in Hertfordshire, we have reviewed our processes and now have the following NEW procedures for future referee courses in Hertfordshire.
Booking onto a Referee Course
- We no longer require potential candidates to complete a referee course application form
- The minimum age to book onto and attend a referee course is 14. There is no maximum age.
- Potential candidates should book directly onto a Referee Course via our website here
If there are no referee courses showing or they are already sold out, please consider downloading the App from our web site and signing up to the message alerts to receive notification when new courses go live.
- A list of all our referee courses for the rest of the year will be advertised on the page above (from July 2016)
- You will be required to enter your FA Number (FAN) and password to book onto a course or create a FAN and password to book onto one if you don’t have one already
- Please Note: You will need to create a new FAN for your Son/Daughter if you already have a FAN yourself, because the FAN used will be accepted as the person booked on.
- The course fee is £135.00 per candidate
- All bookings are made through a secure online portal and confirmations of bookings are generated back to you after payment has been made.
- If your first choice course (venue/date) is FULL, please book onto another course.
- A pre-course pack will be posted out to you shortly after your booking has been made.
- Candidates MUST be prepared to study and learn the Laws of the Game before attending the new-style referee course, as the course will deal with practical refereeing skills rather than focus only on the Laws.
(This will then mean that candidates are better prepared not only on the course but for when they start refereeing afterwards!)
Referee Course Details
- Referee courses will be limited to 20 candidates per course and all places are booked online on a first come, first served basis with alternative courses available if your first choice has sold out
- The Pre-Course Activity booklet has to be completed and brought alone to the course for marking as this is the First Unit of the course.
- The referee course is based on 18 learning hours. This is not limited to two full days; it could be spread over a number of days over half term for example.
- Course candidates will be required to successfully complete The FA Safeguarding and FA CRC requirements (age dependent) before being registered and able to officiate in any football matches
- After attending the Practical Refereeing Course, candidates move on to the next Unit, which requires them to referee a minimum of ‘5’ matches in 9v9 and/or 11v11 football, as these formats include Offside decision making.
- We strongly recommend that younger referee candidates start with Mini Soccer games up to 7v7 games to instill confidence and to gain experience before moving onto the qualifying games in the larger format of the game.
- New referees are classified as Level 9 Trainee Referees and have four months to complete their 5 games before attending the course exam. (We can be flexible for long term injuries or at certain times of the year when no football is played.)
- The course exam is a multiple choice exam on the Laws of the Game and lasts thirty minutes. After the exam, we will go through the results (Pass mark 75%).
- The remainder of the exam night will be feedback on your games that you have refereed to develop yourself for the future.
- Candidates who successfully complete all the requirements will have their details sent to The FA, who will post out a certificate and badge confirming your full referee qualification.
- Fully qualified referees will be reclassified to Level 8 (if aged 14-15) and Level 7 (if aged 16+)
If you have any questions about the Get Into Refereeing workshops or Referee courses, please contact Danielle for more information:
Danielle Evans – Coach & Referee Education Officer
Danielle.Evans@HertfordshireFA.com | 01462 650208