Farai Hallam

University Transfers

Keep refereeing while you are away studying

Continue refereeing at University

Every season thousands of referees up and down the country leave home and start their time at university

This can often be in an unfamiliar area and different county, but that needn't mean you have to stop refereeing. So whether you are entering or leaving Hertfordshire, we want to make this life transition as easy as possible by supporting your refereeing.

Continuing refereeing with a new County FA offers students a fantastic opportunity to get involved in university life and the local football community, as well as providing an income to support studies and social activities. 

This process is remarkably simple… even if you're moving from one end of the country to the other!

Moving to Hertfordshire

Referees moving to study in Hertfordshire have a wide range of opportunities available in the grassroots game with various local leagues and the university sports scene. Once you have confirmed your move we will be able to affiliate you with Hertfordshire FA.

The process is as easy as one email or phone call - to discuss the options available or arrange affiliation please get in touch.

Leaving Hertfordshire

If you're leaving to study elsewhere in the country, you will need to affiliate with your new County FA. However, if you are planning to come home regularly, you can still be used by Hertfordshire FA and be an associate member of the new county you have moved to.

If you're unsure of the best route to take, get in touch and we'll talk it through with you.

University Transfer FAQs

There are two referee societies in Hertfordshire, they meet once a month and discuss referee issues and welcome new members. One is in Welwyn Garden City (local to the Herts Sports Village at Hatfield) and the other is in Hemel Hempstead. Please contact Charlie Willson for further details: chasrw183@gmail.com

Yes of course, especially if you are going home at anytime. As long as you are a registered referee you can referee anywhere in England

Referees only need to register with their parent county (where they live) each season, but can either apply through the registration process on WGS, or ask another County FA to register them for free as an Associate Member

Yes. Contact the County FA where you will be studying to assist you with refereeing whilst you are staying there.

Contact us and we can assist you with refereeing whilst you are staying here. If you are not registered you will be asked to contact your parent County FA and register with them and then request associate membership with Hertfordshire FA. Or you can ask your parent County FA to transfer your record to Hertfordshire FA and register with us

Get in touch and we can provide details of local contacts (you can also download a list of League contacts from our main referee page). You can then approach any suitable Leagues directly yourself to learn more about the opportunities available.

Get In Touch

If you have a question please get in touch, we are here to help

By Phone:

01462 677622
(9am - 5pm Monday - Friday)

By Email:


Related Articles

View All