Celebrating Grassroots Heroes
Hertfordshire FA are delighted to announce the local recipients of The FA and McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards 2019.
The awards were presented at a special event in Letchworth, giving us an opportunity to highlight the fantastic work being done by grassroots heroes across our county and give them the recognition their efforts deserve.
The Grassroots Football Awards recognise and celebrate the work of individuals and groups to instill The FA’s PRIDE values – Progressive, Respectful, Inclusive, Determination and Excellent – and make a positive difference in their club, league or local community.
Following receipt of nominations, we worked with a panel of judges drawn from across Hertfordshire football to select winners across a range of categories.
Our inspirational winners include clubs working hard to bring football to everyone in their communities and create a positive playing environment for all to enjoy the game, along with a team that turned a personal tragedy into an opportunity to raise funds for a worthy cause.
Other awards recognised the efforts of dedicated volunteers that have given up huge amounts of time to create opportunities for others to enjoy the game, along with individuals whose dedication and perseverance have seen them deliver outstanding achievements.
The full list of Hertfordshire Grassroots Football Awards 2019 winners are:
• Respect Award: Chorleywood Common FC
• Grounds Team of the Year: Fred Benning, Bovingdon FC
• Supporter of the Year: Freddie Cardy, Hitchin Town FC
• Grassroots Project of the Year: Hartham United FC
• Grassroots League of the Year: Hertfordshire Girls Football Partnership League
• Grassroots Match Official of the Year: Evelyn McGregor
• Rising Star of the Year: Madeline Hurley, Lea Sports PSG
• Volunteer of the Year: Mary Pacitti, Berkhamsted Raiders CFC
• Coach of the Year: Liam Dwyer, St Albans City Youth, GB Special Olympics
• Grassroots Club of the Year: Royston Town Youth FC
• Special Contribution to Hertfordshire Football: Ken Headington
Speaking at the event, Karl Lingham, Chief Executive of Hertfordshire FA, said:
“Our role at Hertfordshire FA is to deliver football for all and we are here to support the thousands of volunteers who make up the game across our county.
We are always full of admiration for those who give up their time for others, working hard to improve standards and increase opportunities in the game. It’s an honour to have so many of them here tonight and to be able to thank for their efforts and celebrate their achievements.
We’ve heard so many inspiring stories this evening, it really makes us proud to be part of such an amazing football community.”
Graham Phillips, Chair of Hertfordshire FA added:
“It’s fantastic to hear about the great work being done by dedicated volunteers across Hertfordshire football and a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet some of the grassroots heroes who do so much to make the county a great place to play the game. Congratulations to all of tonight's winners.”
Learn more about The FA and McDonald’s Grassroots Football Awards